I joined The Altered States back when it was a very different band in 2010. My boyfriend and I just split and he left the band but I didn’t. Reuben, Kris, Nick and Mandy took me under their wings and became my new family.
The Altered States sit on some grass
Mandy and I had a lot of fun keeping the boys in line and recording our first EP. We were perfectionists and did like 40 vocal takes for each song. As you do.
In 2012 I brought Dave along and the shenanigans just kept coming! Our music kept changing as we went, which was exciting because we got to play so many different styles over that time.
We’ve been through A LOT in the past three years and it has all been absolutely wonderful.
My highlights include:
- My first TAS gig at Juice Bar in June 2010
- Playing Ambassador Bar all crammed together
- Living with the drummer Kris and discussing band ALL THE TIME
- Dave’s first practice. Before he joined I said “so he’s really happy and has a mohawk” The guys were already sold.
- Getting through to the AuSM Battle of the Bands final
- Mixing our first EP – which kind of happened by accident!
- Mixing our 2nd EP
- Recording vocals in Mandy’s garage – Kris screaming and frightening Greg’s parents
- Photo shoots in forests, children’s playgrounds and under motorways
- Teaching everyone how to play Painted Sky and saying yes to the chugs
- Jamming at the Manor with Anthony
- Jamming at The Bassment with Robbie
- Learning everything I could possibly need to know about porn and dodgy sex moves
- Inconsiderate Love Child
- My Baby and Prison Life
- The Richard Album
- Playing at The Masonic – it became our regular
- Band Chat
- The Napier Tour and One Nut
I’m really excited for my four band brothers to move in their new, heavier direction and make some really mean music.
As for me, I’m going to head in the other direction and make some lighter stuff with a new band. Maybe one day we’ll gig together again at a random show that has both metal and indie/electronica. Stranger things have happened.
I do miss them lots already but it’s going to be ok. They may no longer be my band, but they will always be my crazy brothers.
Peace out Kris, Reubs, Daze & Nick!